On the 28th March the Branch held their annual AGM followed by an inspiring talk and presentation by LI President Adam White.
A new Branch Committee was elected with positions filled as follows:
- Chair: Laura Welborn-Baker
- Secretary: Emma Watson
- Tresurer: Amy McAbendroth
- Branch Representative: Mark Smeeden
- Members: Sue Firth, Faye Walton, Alan Nowell, Steven Sixsmith
- Student Members: Cara Pedley, Alana Silk, Nicola Stevens, Mark O’Connel and William Francis
During his presentation, Adam White, talked about his journey to becoming a Landscape Architect, from childhood memories, his early career, through to his recent work in practice. Adam also talked in detail about his role as president, his aims and what he has achieved so far during his presidency. Some of his key areas he has worked on are as follows:
- Working on establishing better connections with related bodies, including the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) and the British Association of Landscape Industries (BALI), to aid cross working as well as the promotion and visibility of Landscape Architecture as a profession.
- Involvement with promoting horticulture and landscape design through schools programmes such as the RHS Green Plan It project.
- Raising the diversity of the profession to bring in new routes to becoming a Landscape Architect including a landscape apprenticeship scheme.
- Promotion of the Choose Landscape campaign and website.
- Recommendation on landscape related books: Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv, Vitamin N by Richard Louv, The Nature Fix by Florence Williams, Slow Growth by Hal Moggridge.
Below is a list of links to key items mentioned during the presentation:
- RHS Website: www.rhs.org.uk
- RHS Green Plan It Project: schoolgardening.rhs.org.uk/11-19-years/Green-Plan-It
- BALI Website: www.bali.org.uk
- Choose Landscape Website: www.chooselandscape.org
- IFLA World Congress 2019: www.ifla2019.com
- Forest of Imagination: www.forestofimagination.org.uk
- Garden Museum, Lambeth: www.gardenmuseum.org.uk
- Play Time @ Gardens by the Bay by Grant Associates: Video