Shibden Park

Shibden Park

Opened as a public park in 1926 by the Prince of Wales, Shibden Park is one of the most important public parks in Yorkshire. Its dramatic setting incorporates a wide variety of important historical features and, with the completion of the project, now has a worthy new chapter in the its story. The project has rediscovered the old, incorporated the new and brought the people flooding back to this largely forgotten corner of east Halifax.

The project is considered to be a true collaboration of landscape architecture and architecture, also incorporating a wide range of other design and technical disciplines on a range of new build elements and restoration proposals, all within a heritage context. Context and the vernacular of materials and craftsmanship was an over-riding concern. Traditional local building materials used for restoration were also used in a contemporary way to ensure the character of the park remained clearly defined.

Location Near Halifax, West Yorkshire
Type of scheme Park restoration
Lead landscape architect Golder Associates (UK) Ltd
Outline brief Restoration and enhancement of a historic public park
Client Calderdale Metropolitan Borough Council
Contract value £5.6M
Project team Golder Associates (Landscape Architects, Ecologists, Archaeologists, Contract Administrators) (Lead Consultant), Tadcaster

Rance Booth & Smith (Architects), Saltaire

DKP Consulting (Cost Consultants), Harrogate

Halcrow Yolles (Engineers), Leeds

Hickton Consultants (CDM Co-ordinators), Barnsley

Funding Heritage Lottery Fund and CMBC
Funding (ongoing) Heritage Lottery Fund and CMBC
Awards White Rose Landscape Architecture Award 2009

Technical summary

Other technical details Other stakeholders:

English Heritage, Friends of Shibden Park, Naturefriends, Dry Stone Walling Association, Northern Fruit Group

Contractors William Birch & Sons, York
 
Category Parks and gardens

Comments are closed.